Chinese police say Tangshan restaurant attack victims are recovering from injuries

The assault, which took place in the early hours of the morning of June 10, saw several women being repeatedly kicked and punched by a group of men. And shock waves were sent across China after surveillance footage of the accident was leaked to the Internet.

A day after the attack, Tangshan police released a statement saying that two women had been hospitalized with “non-life-threatening injuries” and were “in stable condition.” No other information has been provided. The victims and their friends and families also remained silent.

On Tuesday, 11 days after the assault, and 10 days after the initial statement, the Public Security Department of Hebei Province, where Tangshan is located, issued a second, longer statement, saying that two women, aged 31 and 29, “were taken to hospital in the ward.” year for treatment and their condition improved. She added that the other two victims (24 and 29 years old) did not need hospital treatment.

According to the forensic report cited by the police, the two women in the hospital suffered “minor second-degree injuries”, while the other two sustained “minor injuries”.

The 10-day informative black hole sparked repeated claims that leaked surveillance video captured only part of the attack, and off-camera violence continued in a nearby alley — allegations CNN could not independently verify.

Seemingly trying to refute such rumors, Hebei police said in a statement on Tuesday that the suspects fled the scene at 2.47 a.m. — seven minutes after the attack began; At 2.55 am, the four victims were taken to the hospital by ambulances. Local police officers arrived at the restaurant at 3.09 a.m., about half an hour after receiving a call from the public at the start of the attack, according to the statement.

& # 39;  What happened to the Tangshan women?  & # 39 ;: The Chinese demand answers to a brutal attack on a restaurant
But the statement was met with skepticism online, with many criticizing the authorities’ handling of the case. A related hashtag on Weibo was viewed 450 million times in a matter of hours.

“So there are no photos or videos. Journalists are not allowed to interview (victims), and only you can publish information,” said a user on China’s Twitter-like Weibo website, citing a lack of access to journalists.

“A city without credibility – dare we trust the injury report? How reliable is this police statement?” User added.

In the aftermath of the attack, Chinese authorities sought to stifle discussions of gender-based violence and shift the focus to local gang violence.

State media reports have largely focused on the police’s swift action in arresting suspects, and the two-week “thunderstorm” campaign announced by Tangshan authorities to crack down on organized crime. Photos and videos of police officers – some armed with guns – standing behind customers at outdoor barbecue restaurants, similar to the one where the incident occurred, have flooded social media.

& # 39;  This could happen to any of us: Video of men trampling a woman's head rocks China to the core

Police said in a statement on Tuesday that four of the suspects traveled to Tangshan from eastern Jiangsu Province three days before the attack to conspire with the other five to “carry out illegal activities on the Internet and money laundering.” The statement added that many of them have criminal records for crimes ranging from unlawful detention to intentional harm to others.

Police authorities also launched an internal investigation to find out whether the local police station failed to respond in a timely manner, and whether it violated any laws and regulations when applying the law. The statement stated that the deputy head of the local police station was suspended from work.

Leave a Comment