4 people injured by a man in a stabbing attack in New Zealand

Placeholder while loading article actions

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – A man injured four people in a stabbing attack Thursday in a New Zealand city before bystanders carried him to the ground, authorities said.

Police chief Naila Hassan said the suspect in the Auckland attack was in custody.

“This was a very fast-moving incident, as the police responded quickly, arrested the perpetrator and prevented further harm to our communities,” Hassan said.

The motive behind the attack was not immediately clear.

New Zealand was the site of two violent supermarket stabbings last year. One considered a terrorist attack while the judge found that the motive could not be linked to the other attack.

Last September, a Muslim extremist inspired by the Islamic State stabbed five people in an Auckland supermarket before being shot and killed by police. Three of those he stabbed were seriously injured and two others were injured in the clash, but all of them survived.

And in May last year, shoppers and employees at a Dunedin supermarket were able to prevent a mad man from harming others after he stabbed four people in a random attack, seriously injuring three of them.

Dunedin’s attacker, 43-year-old Luke Lambert, was convicted of four counts of attempted murder and sentenced to 13 years in prison.

Leave a Comment