2 killed, at least 19 injured in shooting in Norway’s capital

Oslo, Norway – Two people were killed and at least 19 wounded early Saturday morning in downtown Oslo when a gunman opened fire outside a nightclub and restaurant, Norwegian police and radio said.

Oslo police said on Twitter that a suspect had been arrested five minutes after the shooting was reported. Tor Barstad, the chief of police operations, who spoke to reporters about the incident, did not identify the suspect or speculate about a motive. He added that three of the injured were seriously injured.

One of the nightclubs, London Pub is the center of Oslo’s gay nightlife. The city’s annual Pride Parade was scheduled to take place on Saturday, one of the highlights of a ten-day festival that began last week.

Olaf Runeberg, crime reporter for Norwegian public radio, NRK, was in the area when the violence began. “I saw a man arriving at the scene with a bag, he took a gun and started shooting,” he told the outlet.

The London pub, located a few blocks from the Norwegian Parliament House, opened in the 1970s. The photo of the ribbon in a listing on Oslo’s official tourism website shows a rainbow flag raised above its entrance.

The timing and location of the attack raised concerns that it may have been aimed at targeting the LGBTQ community in Norway, where gay couples have had the right to marry and have children since 2009.

Shootings are extremely rare in Norway, a country of five million people whose capital is located next to a picturesque fjord.

Gun owners must have licenses and take safety lessons, and a ban on semi-automatic weapons was introduced last year — in response to a 2011 attack by a far-right gunman that killed 77 people.

The 2011 attack began when gunman Anders Behring Breivik detonated a fertilizer bomb in downtown Oslo, killing eight people. Then 69 people, mostly teenagers, were killed in a shooting at a political summer camp.

Mr Breivik was sentenced to 21 years in prison for those attacks, the maximum under Norwegian law. A Norwegian court rejected his conditional release in February, saying he “appeared to be devoid of sympathy and sympathy for victims of terrorism”.

Henrik Pricer Lebel I mentioned from Oslo and Mike Ives from Seoul.

Leave a Comment